Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) Certification by the IC&RC (International Certification)
6000 hours of supervised work experience specific to the ADC domains. An associate’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 1000 hours; a bachelor’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 2000 hours; a master’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 4000 hours.
270 hours specific to the domains. Six hours must be specific to counselor ethics.
300 hours specific to the domains, which include the 12 core functions and TAP 21 Competencies with a minimum of ten hours in each core function area.
Code of Ethics
Applicants must sign a code of ethics statement or affirmation statement.
40 hours of continuing education earned every two years.
For more information visit http://internationalcredentialing.org/adcPR
Licensed Chemical Dependency Program: Counselor Intern (CI) Registration (Texas)
Last Updated February 10, 2011
Applying for registration as a counselor intern (CI) is the first step towards becoming a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC)
To be eligible for a CI registration, a person must:
(1) be at least 18 years of age;
(2) have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
(3) successfully complete 270 classroom hours of chemical dependency curricula as described in the rules 25 TAC §140.406 (relating to Standards for 270 Educational Hours) or meet the educational waiver contained in 25 TAC §140.405 (b);
(4) complete 300 hours of approved supervised field work practicum as described in the rules 25 TAC §140.407 (relating to Practicum Standards) or meet the educational waiver contained in the rules 25 TAC §140.405 (b);
(5) pass the criminal history standards described in the rules 25 TAC §140.430 (relating to Criminal History Standards);
(6) sign a written agreement to abide by the ethical standards contained in the rules 25 TAC §140.423; and
(7) be worthy of the public trust and confidence as determined by the department.
The CI registration is issued once for a term of five (5) years, during which time a person must complete all requirements for licensure as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, including passing both parts of the required examination.
A CI who fails to complete all requirements during the five year term may apply only once for a subsequent registration for an additional three years. However, if all requirements, including examination, college degree and 4,000 hours of supervised experience, are not completed by the end of the three year term of the subsequent CI registration, then the person’s application for licensure as a LCDC will be denied.
Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Intern Registration Application Check List
- Completed application (2 pages), signed, dated and notarized with a recent full face wallet sized photo.
- Application and Background Investigation fee of $65.00 (cashier’s check or money order); Payable to DSHS. Applications will not be processed without the total fee of $65.00
- Confirmation of submission of fingerprints via FAST process.
- Documentation of a high school diploma, its equivalent (GED) or a copy of college transcript.
- Documentation of the 270 education hours. Documentation can be one of the following:
- An official transcript (no photocopies );
- Copies of classroom certificates (only if completed through continuing education at a college or university);
- An official college transcript showing an approved degree which will waive the education requirements.
Documentation of a 300-hour practicum. Documentation can be one of the following:
- An official college transcript (no photocopies ) showing the completed practicum course with a letter from the school’s department chair/coordinator stating the practicum was completed in the field of chemical dependency;
- A copy of the classroom certificate (only if completed through continuing education at a college or university) with a letter from the department chair/coordinator stating the practicum was completed in the field of chemical dependency;
- An official college transcript showing an approved degree which will waive the practicum requirements.
For more information visit http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/lcdc/lcdc_intern