Eligibility Criteria

Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) Certification by the IC&RC (International Certification)


6000 hours of supervised work experience specific to the ADC domains. An associate’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 1000 hours; a bachelor’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 2000 hours; a master’s degree in behavioral science may substitute for 4000 hours.


270 hours specific to the domains. Six hours must be specific to counselor ethics.


300 hours specific to the domains, which include the 12 core functions and TAP 21 Competencies with a minimum of ten hours in each core function area.


Applicants must pass the IC&RC ADC Examination. Online study guide materials available at LCDC Exceptional Counselor Study Guide and LCDC Exam Review

Code of Ethics

Applicants must sign a code of ethics statement or affirmation statement.


40 hours of continuing education earned every two years.

For more information visit http://internationalcredentialing.org/adcPR

Licensed Chemical Dependency Program: Counselor Intern (CI) Registration (Texas)

Last Updated February 10, 2011

Applying for registration as a counselor intern (CI) is the first step towards becoming a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC)

To be eligible for a CI registration, a person must:

(1) be at least 18 years of age;
(2) have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
(3) successfully complete 270 classroom hours of chemical dependency curricula as described in the rules 25 TAC §140.406 (relating to Standards for 270 Educational Hours) or meet the educational waiver contained in 25 TAC §140.405 (b);
(4) complete 300 hours of approved supervised field work practicum as described in the rules 25 TAC §140.407 (relating to Practicum Standards) or meet the educational waiver contained in the rules 25 TAC §140.405 (b);
(5) pass the criminal history standards described in the rules 25 TAC §140.430 (relating to Criminal History Standards);
(6) sign a written agreement to abide by the ethical standards contained in the rules 25 TAC §140.423; and
(7) be worthy of the public trust and confidence as determined by the department.

The CI registration is issued once for a term of five (5) years, during which time a person must complete all requirements for licensure as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, including passing both parts of the required examination.

A CI who fails to complete all requirements during the five year term may apply only once for a subsequent registration for an additional three years. However, if all requirements, including examination, college degree and 4,000 hours of supervised experience, are not completed by the end of the three year term of the subsequent CI registration, then the person’s application for licensure as a LCDC will be denied.

Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Intern Registration Application Check List

  • Completed application (2 pages), signed, dated and notarized with a recent full face wallet sized photo.
  • Application and Background Investigation fee of $65.00 (cashier’s check or money order); Payable to DSHS. Applications will not be processed without the total fee of $65.00
  • Confirmation of submission of fingerprints via FAST process.
  • Documentation of a high school diploma, its equivalent (GED) or a copy of college transcript.
  • Documentation of the 270 education hours. Documentation can be one of the following:
    • An official transcript (no photocopies );
    • Copies of classroom certificates (only if completed through continuing education at a college or university);
    • An official college transcript showing an approved degree which will waive the education requirements.

Documentation of a 300-hour practicum. Documentation can be one of the following:

  • An official college transcript (no photocopies ) showing the completed practicum course with a letter from the school’s department chair/coordinator stating the practicum was completed in the field of chemical dependency;
  • A copy of the classroom certificate (only if completed through continuing education at a college or university) with a letter from the department chair/coordinator stating the practicum was completed in the field of chemical dependency;
  • An official college transcript showing an approved degree which will waive the practicum requirements.

For more information visit http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/lcdc/lcdc_intern

Visit LCDC Exam Review


22 comments on “LCDC

  1. Hi,
    I have a Bachelors Degree in Film and Psychology. I recently took an Intro course at a community college in Drugs and Alcohol. I spoke to my professor and he said because I have my Bachelors I can apply directly to take the LCDC exam. But looking to register for the exam it seems like I need to have a CI first. I don’t have any internship or practicum hours, but is it possible to waive these through my Bachelors degree? I would like to take the next steps in order to become an LCDC and then complete the internship. But I’m not sure what I need to do first. Help?

    Thank you!

  2. Hi. I failed my lcdc test 4 and my license expires in 10/2014. Do you know where I can take my 12 hours credit online in order to retest. Thank u!!

  3. Quick question. I am an LPC Intern, how do I become an LCDC?

  4. Was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me. I am in college on the DAAC track and I have competed my 270 hours and I am 20hrs from finishing my 300 hour practicum. I was actually just hired as the director of operations at my practicum site and my question is about my 4000 hours. The place I work where I did my practicum is not a state approved clinical internship site for me to get my 4000 hours, but my instructor said that I can pay a LCDC that is a clinical supervisor to sign off on my hours and be my clinical supervisor so that I can get my 4000 hours at the place where I work. Does anyone know how this works?? Or how much you have to pay them?? I just want to be able to complete my hours at the job site that I was hired at given the fact that I am already working there and I will be able to fulfill the required counseling, addiction treatment etc at the site.

    • Hello Carmie,

      Thanks for your comment. Yes, you can find an LCDC-Supervisor and get your hours with them. About the cost, it may vary depending on the supervisor. I am not sure if you can work your practicum hours at the agency where you currently work at, and just have an external LCDC-supervisor sign off on them. The supervisor is usually at the agency (even if this is not a CTI) where you are getting your hours to supervise your practice. However, like I said, I do not know this for sure, so I suggest that you contact the DSHS, here is the link http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/lcdc/lcdc_contact.shtm

      Good luck!!

  5. Does an Associates Degree in Psychology count as 270 hours? Will I be able to get my CI? Do I need any further classes?

    • Hi Sandra,

      The 270 hours are usually from the Substance Abuse counseling program. An AA in Psychology does not include all the DAAC classes to meet the requirement. You are able to get your CI once you have completed your 270 curriculum-hours and your practicum. Please follow this link to read more about credentials for substance abuse counselors. http://internationalcredentialing.org/adcPR

      Good luck!

      • Thank you for the reply. Would the ICDS be the only place to go? How long does it usually take to get 270 hours?
        Thanks again

      • No, the ICDS is not the only place to go to complete the program. Most community colleges offer associate degrees in substance abuse counseling/prevention, and certificates in substance abuse counseling. Some universities offer these certificates too. Check with the colleges and universities in your city/state for more info about their programs. The time that it takes to complete the program varies; it depends on the student and the format of the classes. Good luck!

  6. Where can I obtain my 270 curriculum hours at an affordable price and in a timely manner?

  7. I have a BS in Criminal justice with a minor in addictions as well as a MS in CJ. Does any of that go towards a waiver? I have worked for 8 years as an investigator with CPS with a focus on the drug cases will any of that go towards a waiver for education? I am looking to begin getting a certificate in substance abuse counseling and want to see if any of that will help knock down that 270 hours of education!

  8. I have my CI and will start working to complete my 4,000 hours. How or what forms do I need to document my hours?

  9. How do you get past once you have received your license and you don’t have experience but you have just went through your practicum any advice.

  10. I have my CI. Any idea of a degree in Criminal Justice waives the practicum requirements? It’s kind of like wading through muddy water when you’re just starting out, trying to find assistance. Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: